Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Doll can be enjoyed by all ages

I recently came across a forum where a woman was asking if people thought she was too old to still enjoy collecting dolls.

I've been thinking about that question, and here are some of thoughts and some of my own life experiences when it comes to being interested in dolls at different ages and stages of life.

     As a little girl my mom and grandma decorated my room with pretty dolls.  Dolls in full length princess style dresses that sat on my dressers and nightstand.  A doll lamp. (Actually, I think I picked out the doll lamp.)  Dolls everywhere.  The kind of dolls that aren't porcelain, yet are not movable at the joints, either.  And I didn't really care much for dolls.  Sure I thought they were pretty, but at the same time I thought they were boring, and didn't do anything.  I would rather be drawing, sewing, or crocheting. 
     Then came the Cabbage Patch Kids!  My mom bought me one and sent in the adoption papers.  They came back with a birth certificate stating that I was the doll's mommy!  I was hooked!  That doll went everywhere with me.  My mom made me and my doll matching nightgowns, and I was thrilled!  Sadly, I no longer know where that doll is at.
     As a teenage I redesigned my room, and out went the dolls.  I thought I was too old for them, and the doll phase of life was over. I was "grown up!".  I was wrong!
     Many years later, as an adult, I had quite a bit of leftover fabrics that I was trying to figure out what to do with them.  The pieces were too big and nice to just throw out.  So, a friend suggested I use it to make some doll clothes.   She told me about the American Girl dolls and let me borrow the one she'd played with when she was a child.  I'd never heard of the dolls before, but was amazed at how cute they are, and at the great quality in which they are made.  I started sewing doll clothes! And then sewing more, and more, and more doll clothes! 
      I look around my home, now, and have to laugh!  I have the American Girl doll I use as a "model" for my doll clothes, along with some Springfield Collections dolls and some other 18 inch dolls.        ....To think, I started out not being very crazy about dolls! LOL!!
    Now that I sell my handmade doll clothes at craft shows, I've met many wonderful ladies of all ages who still love their dolls.  Many are purchasing my doll clothes for their daughter or granddaughters, but I also meet sweet, lovely ladies that share that they still enjoy their own dolls.   Many use them to decorate a room in their home and change their clothes once a month or seasonally!  They get a lot of enjoyment in finding outfits for them and keeping them stylish!
    For some ladies, the dolls are ones they were given as a child. For others it was their daughter's dolls and they hang onto them hoping for a granddaughter to come along at some point so they can pass them down to them to be played with again.  I think this is such a great idea to keep those precious memories of playing with their doll alive, while also making some new memories!
    For, yet, other ladies, it's dolls they've purchased to enjoy just because they enjoy them!
    I've even heard that baby dolls are sometimes given to ladies in nursing home, or ladies struggling with dementia.  They "take care" of these baby dolls and it gives them a feeling of purpose as they care for someone!

So to answer that lady's question, from the forum I read it in, no you are never too old to enjoy dolls!  Afterall, in some ways, we all all little girls at heart!

    Don't worry what someone else may say or possibly think about you still enjoying your dolls!  Pull them out of storage (the poor dolls are tired of being cooped up in a dark box) and enjoy them.  Or drive to the store and pick out a new adorable doll to make new memories with! 
Or hey! Here's an idea: start your own blog about your dolls!  Make up stories for them, take photos of them and call it your hobby!  It's good to have a creative outlet, so take what you enjoy (dolls) and turn it into a creative hobby that you can have fun with and enjoy!

    What about you?  Do you have a story that you'd like to share about enjoying dolls at different ages and stages of your life?  Or maybe a fond memory you have of playing with your dolls either as a child or as a child at heart.  Please share your story in the comments below so I and other readers can enjoy your memories with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment